Brilliant speculative fiction shapes and defines our civilization’s future. We envision a world where everyone can enjoy many of the benefits of an MFA program, without the often heavy cost. Help us make this vision a reality by supporting The Portolan Project, an initiative to provide a wealth of exceptional creative writing courses and resources.
Our educational modules include study questions and writing exercises designed both for people working on their own and for educators to use in their classrooms.
Check out our interviews with masters of the field on aspects of craft, as well as the “Deep Dive” education modules that delve deeper into the ideas presented.
These are deeper takes on what authors have to say about the craft of writing.
- Paolo Bacigalupi on writing solutions in values fiction
- Vida Cruz on increasing international participation
- S.B. Divya on editorial gatekeeping
- Cory Doctorow on copyright versus creative commons licensing
- Ajit George on representation in game writing
- Liz Gorinsky on approaches to the editorial process
- Minal Hajratwala on working in multiple genres
- Nalo Hopkinson on using vernacular speech in storytelling
- George R. R. Martin on the importance of fact in science fiction
- Farah Mendlesohn on global literary markets
- Silvia Moreno-Garcia on publishing science fiction
- Benjamin Rosenbaum on gender in speculative fiction
- Scott Woods on creative community organizing
Do you want to go beyond being a member of the Speculative Literature Foundation and help us bring our mission to life with your own skills and knowledge? We could use the expertise of teachers, graduate students, and other educators in building out the Portolan Project. Join us by becoming a volunteer!
Please fill out and send the form below to get started at the SLF.