SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS GRANT ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED.
Open for submissions November 1, 2021 – November 30, 2021
The SLF Gulliver Travel grants are awarded annually, since 2004, to assist writers of speculative literature (in fiction, poetry, drama, or creative nonfiction) in their research. They are not currently available for academic research, though we hope to offer such funds in the future. We are currently offering one $1000 travel grant annually, to be used to cover airfare, lodging, and/or other travel expenses.
Our travel grants will be awarded by a committee of SLF staff members on the basis of interest and merit. If awarded the grant, the recipient agrees to write a brief report of their research experience (500-1000 words) for our files, and for possible public dissemination on our website.
This grant, as with all SLF grants, is intended to help writers working with speculative literature. Speculative literature is a catch-all term meant to inclusively span the breadth of fantastic literature, encompassing literature ranging from hard science fiction to epic fantasy to ghost stories to horror to folk and fairy tales to slipstream to magical realism to modern myth-making — and more. Any piece of literature containing a fabulist or speculative element would fall under our aegis, and would potentially be work that we would be interested in supporting.
Travel Grant Application Procedures
- Complete the Application Form. The application form for the Gulliver Grant is only active during the open submission period 12:00AM November 1, 2021 – 11:59PM November 31, 2021 (All times UTC -4). Required materials will include:
- A cover letter which includes a one-page written description of the project in question, including details on the travel location and an estimated completion date (no more than 500 words) and a bibliography of previously published work if applicable. Applicants need not have prior publishing credits to apply.
- A writing sample in the proposed genre (up to 10 pages of poetry, 10 pages of drama, or 5000 words of fiction or creative nonfiction); please note that the writing sample must be a solo work (work completed only by the applicant). The submitted work must be speculative fiction as defined above.
- If you are unable to use the form for accessibility reasons, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject: “Accessible Application Request – Travel Grant” and an alternative means of submission will be provided for you. Any questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may apply for travel to take place at any point in the following year (from October to the following October).
- Travel may take place from any country to any country, or internally within a country; the grants are unrestricted. Funds will be disbursed in U.S. currency (but can be sent through PayPal if that is more convenient for international recipients).
- Jurors will deliberate with the goal of announcing winners by January 15th, 2022.
To see a list of all previous Gulliver Travel grant winners, click here.
For more information on SLF’s policies and operations, visit our FAQ page.