SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS GRANT ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED.
Open for submissions May 1, 2021 – May 31, 2021
The SLF $1000 Older Writers Grant is awarded annually, since 2004, to a writer who is fifty years of age or older at the time of grant application, and is intended to assist such writers who are just starting to work at a professional level. We are currently offering a $1000 grant annually, to be used as each writer determines will best assist his or her work.
This grant will be awarded by a committee of SLF staff members on the basis of merit. If awarded the grant, the recipient agrees to provide a brief excerpt from their work, and an autobiographical statement describing themselves and their writing (500-1000 words) for our files, and for possible public dissemination on our website.
This grant, as with all SLF grants, is intended to help writers working with speculative literature. Speculative literature is a catch-all term meant to inclusively span the breadth of fantastic literature, encompassing literature ranging from hard science fiction to epic fantasy to ghost stories to horror to folk and fairy tales to slipstream to magical realism to modern myth-making — and more. Any piece of literature containing a fabulist or speculative element would fall under our aegis, and would potentially be work that we would be interested in supporting.
Older Writers Grant Application Procedures
- Complete the Application Form. The application form for the SLF Older Writers Grant is only active during the open submission period 12:00AM May 1, 2021 – 11:59PM May 31, 2021 (All times UTC -4). Required materials will include:
- A cover letter including a short (less than 500 words) autobiographical statement describing your work thus far, including date of birth, and a bibliography of previously published work if applicable. Applicants need not have prior publishing credits to apply.
- A writing sample (up to 10 pages of poetry, 10 pages of drama, or 5,000 words of fiction or creative nonfiction — if sending a segment of a novel, novella, or novelette, please include a one-page synopsis as the first page of the document as well). The submitted work must be speculative fiction as defined above.
- If you are unable to use the form for accessibility reasons, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject: “Accessible Application Request – Older Writers Grant” and an alternative means of submission will be provided for you. Any questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jurors will deliberate with the goal of announcing winners by July 15th, 2021.