SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS GRANT ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED.
Open for submissions January 1, 2022 – January 31, 2022
The SLF and DesiLit are pleased to announce a new co-sponsored grant, founded in memory of Ashim Chandra Bose, known as the A. C. Bose Grant beginning in 2019.
The A.C. Bose Grant will annually give $1000 to a South Asian / South Asian diaspora writer developing speculative fiction. It supports adult fiction, but work that is also accessible to older children and teens will be given preference in the jury process. The donors hope that this grant will help develop work that will let young people imagine different worlds and possibilities.
The grant is founded in memory of Ashim Chandra Bose. A.C. Bose, a lover of books, and especially science fiction and fantasy, by his children, Rupa Bose and Gautam Bose, in fond memory and to honor the legacy of the worlds he opened up for them.
Application Process Overview:
The grant will be jointly administered and awarded by the Speculative Literature Foundation, and DesiLit. This grant will be awarded by a jury of SLF staff members on the basis of merit.
If awarded the grant, the recipient agrees to provide a brief excerpt from their work, and an autobiographical statement describing themselves and their writing (500-1000 words) for our files, and for possible public dissemination on our website.
This grant, as with all SLF grants, is intended to help writers working with speculative literature. Speculative literature is a catch-all term meant to inclusively span the breadth of fantastic literature, encompassing literature ranging from hard science fiction to epic fantasy to ghost stories to horror to folk and fairy tales to slipstream to magical realism to modern myth-making — and more. Any piece of literature containing a fabulist or speculative element would fall under our aegis, and would potentially be work that we would be interested in supporting.
Please note that the goal of these grants is to help as wide a range of writers as possible, so recent winners can reapply but will be considered low-priority within a 2-year window of winning.
Grant Application Procedures
- Complete the Application Form. The application form for the A. C. Bose Grant is only active during the open submission period 12:00AM January 1, 2022 – 11:59PM January 31, 2022 (All times UTC -4). Required materials will include:
- a writing sample up to 5,000 words of fiction— if sending a segment of a novel, novella, or novelette, please include a one-page synopsis as well. The submitted work must be speculative fiction as defined above.
- a cover letter including a short (less than 500 words) autobiographical statement about yourself and your work, as well as a bibliography of previously published work if applicable. Applicants need not have prior publishing credits to apply.
- If you are unable to use the form for accessibility reasons, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject: “Accessible Application Request – Bose Grant” and an alternative means of submission will be provided for you. Any questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jurors will deliberate with the goal of announcing 2021 winners by May 15th, 2022.