Show Notes for Ep. 62 "On Landlords and Classless Societies"
This episode was inspired by a meme Mary Anne came across concerning landlords, and their somewhat… unpopular reputations in society. The hosts of MRAH contemplate the positions of power and influence that people like landlords and property owners can have over the world. Mary Anne and Ben also compare the cultures and societies that they read about in sci-fi futures, and whether they can be achievable with the trajectories of our day.
Recorded October 18, 2023 / Published November 20, 2023
- 0:00:00 – on making mistakes and getting corrected
- 0:03:16 – on landlords and landlord memes
- 0:17:20 – on the Venezuelan refugee crisis in Chicago and offering living space
- 0:28:07 – making connections to sci-fi, and revaluating established systems
- 0:35:45 – don’t be an asshole
- 0:52:45 – intermission followed by questions of sci-fi worldbuilding
- 1:02:07 – on classless sci-fi societies and gift cultures
- 1:19:33 – the almighty algorithm, social media platforms, and Wikipedia
- 1:43:18 – can AI represent us?
Organized by order of appearance.
- Wives, by Lisa Tuttle
- The Unraveling, by Benjamin Rosenbaum
- The Guy Who Worked for Money, by Benjamin Rosenbaum
- Culture series, by Ian M. Banks
- True Names, Benjamin Rosenbaum and Cory Doctorow
- Anathem, Neal Stephenson
- The Cathedral and the Bazaar, by Eric S. Raymond
- The Gift, by Lewis Hyde
- Debt: The First 5000 Years, by David Graeber
- The Dawn of Everything, by David Graeber
- Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, by Cory Doctorow