Show Notes for Ep. 48 "In the Theater of Magic With Andrea Hairston"
This week, Mary Anne and Ben explore the magic of theater, discuss the importance of representation and research, and address the struggle in working with dark and difficult material in speculative fiction with author Andrea Hairston. They discuss Hairston’s body of work, including her recently re-issued novel “Will Do Magic for Small Change,” which you can find out more about on andreahairston.com/novels.
Recorded October 16, 2022 / Published July 17, 2023
- 0:00:00 – on Hairston’s theater work and the magic of it
- 0:15:46 – handling dark material
- 0:30:16 – on the anxiety of representation
- 0:42:16 – intermission and SLF ad
- 0:46:43 – considering unreliable and biased accounts when researching
- 1:05:08 – on how to write about difficult material