Open for submissions January 1, 2020 – March 31, 2020
June 1st September 1st, 2020
The SLF $1000 Older Writers Grant is awarded annually, since 2004, to a writer who is fifty years of age or older at the time of grant application, and is intended to assist such writers who are just starting to work at a professional level. We are currently offering a $1000 grant annually, to be used as each writer determines will best assist his or her work.
This grant will be awarded by a committee of SLF staff members on the basis of merit. Factors considered will include:
- a cover letter including a short (less than 500 words) autobiographical statement describing your work thus far, including date of birth, and a bibliography of previously published work if applicable. Applicants need not have prior publishing credits to apply.
- a writing sample (up to 10 pages of poetry, 10 pages of drama, or 5,000 words of fiction or creative nonfiction — if sending a segment of a novel, novella, or novelette, please include a one-page synopsis as the first page of the document as well)
If awarded the grant, the recipient agrees to provide a brief excerpt from their work, and an autobiographical statement describing themselves and their writing (500-1000 words) for our files, and for possible public dissemination on our website.
PLEASE NOTE: This grant, as with all SLF grants, is intended to help writers working within speculative literature. If you’re not sure what areas that term encompasses, we recommend referencing our FAQ (question #2).
Older Writers Grant Application Procedures
- Complete the Application Form. If you are unable to use the form for accessibility reasons, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Accessible Application Request – Older Writers Grant” and an alternative means of submission will be provided for you. Any questions can be addressed to email@example.com.
- Older writer grant applications will be considered from January 1st to March 31st, annually. Applications received outside that period will be discarded unread.
- The grant recipient is typically announced by June 1st, annually, but in light of current events, the 2020 winner will be announced September 1st, 2020. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application by that date.
To see a list of all previous Older Writers grant winners, click here.