Open for submissions January 1, 2021 – March 31, 2021
Winner announced: May 26, 2021
The SLF and DesiLit are pleased to announce a new co-sponsored grant, founded in memory of Ashim Chandra Bose, known as the
A. C. Bose Grant beginning in 2019.
The A.C. Bose Grant will annually give $1000 to a South Asian / South Asian diaspora writer developing speculative fiction. It supports adult fiction, but work that is also accessible to older children and teens will be given preference in the jury process. The donors hope that this grant will help develop work that will let young people imagine different worlds and possibilities.
Application Process Overview:
The grant will be jointly administered and awarded by the Speculative Literature Foundation, and DesiLit. This grant will be awarded by a jury of SLF staff members on the basis of merit.
Factors considered will include:
- a cover letter including a short (less than 500 words) autobiographical statement about yourself and your work, as well as a bibliography of previously published work if applicable. Applicants need not have prior publishing credits to apply.
- a writing sample up to 5,000 words of fiction— if sending a segment of a novel, novella, or novelette, please include a one-page synopsis as well
If awarded the grant, the recipient agrees to provide a brief excerpt from their work, and an autobiographical statement describing themselves and their writing (500-1000 words) for our files, and for possible public dissemination on our website.
PLEASE NOTE: This grant, as with all SLF grants, is intended to help writers working within speculative literature. If you’re not sure what areas that term encompasses, we recommend referencing our FAQ (question #2).
Grant Application Procedures
- Complete the Application Form. If you are unable to use the form for accessibility reasons, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Accessible Application Request – Bose Grant” and an alternative means of submission will be provided for you. Any questions can be addressed to email@example.com.
- The A. C. Bose grant applications will be considered from January 1st to 11:59pm CST March 31st, annually. Applications received outside that period will be discarded unread.
- The grant recipient is typically announced by May 26, annually. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application by that date.
To see a list of all previous the A. C. Bose grant winners, click here.