The SLF and DesiLit are pleased to announce a new co-sponsored grant, founded in memory of Ashim Chandra Bose, known as the
A. C. Bose Grant beginning in 2019.
The A.C. Bose Grant will annually give $1000 to a South Asian / South Asian diaspora writer developing speculative fiction. It supports adult fiction, but work that is also accessible to older children and teens will be given preference in the jury process. The donors hope that this grant will help develop work that will let young people imagine different worlds and possibilities.
Application Process Overview:
The grant will be jointly administered and awarded by the Speculative Literature Foundation, and DesiLit. This grant will be awarded by a jury of SLF staff members on the basis of merit.
Factors considered will include:
- a short (less than 500 words) autobiographical statement, describing the writer and his/her work thus far
- a writing sample
- a bibliography of previously-published work by the author (no more than one page, typed); applicants need not have previous publications to apply
If awarded the grant, the recipient agrees to provide a brief excerpt from their work, and an autobiographical statement describing themselves and their writing (500-1000 words) for our files, and for possible public dissemination on our website.
PLEASE NOTE: This grant, as with all SLF grants, is intended to help writers working within speculative literature. If you’re not sure what areas that term encompasses, we recommend referencing our FAQ (question #2).
Grant Application Procedures
- Send the three items listed above to our older writers grant administrator Malon Edwards as attached .doc files, to email@example.com. Include a brief cover letter with your name and contact info (e-mail, phone in case of emergency). If you have questions, direct them to that same address.
- The A. C. Bose grant applications will be considered from January 1st to March 31st, annually. Applications received outside that period will be discarded unread.
- The grant recipient will be announced by May 26, annually. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application by that date.