The Gulliver Travel Research Grant
SLF travel grants are awarded annually to assist writers of speculative literature (in fiction, poetry,drama, or creative nonfiction) in their research. They are not currently available
for academic research, though we hope to offer such funds in the future.
We are currently offering one $800 travel grant annually, to be used to
cover airfare, lodging, and/or other travel expenses.
Our travel grants will be awarded by a committee of SLF staff members on
the basis of interest and merit. Factors considered will include:
- a one-page written description of the project in question, including
details on the travel location and an estimated completion date (no more
than 500 words)
- a writing sample in the proposed genre (up to 10 pages of poetry, 10 pages of drama, or 5000 words of fiction or creative nonfiction); please note that the writing sample must be a solo work (work completed only by the applicant).
- a bibliography of previously-published work by the author (no more than
one page, typed); applicants need not have previous publications to apply.
If awarded the grant, the recipient agrees to write a brief report of
their research experience (500-1000 words) for our files, and for possible
public dissemination on our website.
PLEASE NOTE: This grant, as with all SLF grants, is intended to help
writers working with speculative literature. If you're not sure what
areas that term encompasses, we recommend referencing our FAQ (question
Travel Grant Application Procedures
- Send the three items listed above to our travel grant administrator as attached .doc files, to email@example.com. Include a brief cover letter with your name and contact info (e-mail, phone in case of emergency). If you have questions, direct them to that same address.
- You may apply for travel to take place at any point in the following
year (from October to the following October).
- Travel may take place from any country to any country, or internally
within a country; the grants are unrestricted. Funds will be disbursed in U.S.
currency (but can be sent through PayPal if that is more convenient for
- Travel grant applications will be considered from July 1st to September
30th, annually. Applications received outside that period will be
- The grant recipient will be announced by November 15th, annually.
All applicants will be notified of the status of their application by that